Church History

The Christian Church of Wagoner, Indian Territory was organized first as a Sunday School of twenty-five members. Mrs. J.R. Thomson, a prominent church worker from Texas, was chiefly responsible for this small beginning in 1896. When the decision was made to organize a church, Mrs. Thomson wrote Rev. Homer T. Wilson, pastor of the First Christian Church of Ft. Worth, Texas, who agreed to hold a revival. By his efforts the First Christian Church of Wagoner was officially organized August 16, 1896.

For two years, services were held at the Norville Institute (a private school located at 615 East Cherokee) and in the county courthouse. By the turn of the century a permanent location at the southwest corner of Cherokee and Jefferson was purchased. This was accomplished mainly by the women's group, called "Willing Workers." They began a building fund which made possible a low interest loan from the Christian Church's Board of Church Extension out of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Line drawing of front of First Christian Church

The congregation elected to move to a larger facility in 1920. The present location was purchased at the time from the Methodist-Episcopal Church, North. This was accomplished a few months after Mrs. Virginia Brandt Berg accepted a call to be the first lady preacher of this or any Wagoner church. Her father, Rev. Brandt, was minister of First Christian Church in Muskogee at the time while her husband, H.E. Berg, was pastor at the Christian church at Pryor.

A two story addition was built in 1955, housing a fellowship hall, kitchen, and classrooms. In 1977 a new sanctuary was constructed. The church now owns three adjacent lots: one to the southeast, one to the west, and one to the north. In June 2002, construction was completed on our new Family Life Center.

© 2018 First Christian Church (DOC), Wagoner, Oklahoma